You can donate money online through the "Make a Donation" button to the right, or by sending your donation to our office:
MD Citizens Against State Executions
3800 A 34th Street
Mount Rainier, MD 20712
House parties are a great way to raise money for an organization while fostering awarenes and understanding about an issue at the same time. MD CASE absolutely welcomes anyone's interest in putting one of these together - especially if you live in one of our targeted districts of Montgomery, Prince George's, Howard, Anne Arundel, or Baltimore Counties, or Baltimore City. Your house party need not be a huge affair - even a gathering of 20 people in your home can bring about great things for our state's movement!
Read below for a broad outline of how to go about throwing your own house party for MD CASE. If you're interested, please get in touch by calling our office at (301) 779-5230 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org - we can help as little or as much as you need!
- Decide on the type of party you want to host - you could invite people to your house for brunch on a Saturday or have them for dinner and drinks. It's up to you.
- Start making up your guest list - the most successful parties are thrown when YOU invite your friends. Depending on your capacity to throw a large gathering, MD CASE can also provide you with names and addresses of other MD CASE members in your area.
- Write your invitation! You can use our sample or get creative and make up your own. MD CASE can certainly help out with postage and mailing - but keep in mind that hand-addressed envelopes will get the best responses! Be sure to include a way for invitees to RSVP, so you'll have a good idea as to how many people will be coming to your house party.
- Prepare for your party. In addition to educating your friends and neighbors about Maryland's death penalty, a house party is also supposed to be a fundraiser. MD CASE can provide materials and a speaker to talk about our work, but the pitch for donations shoudl come from you. Talk about why you feel strongly about the issue, and why you think it is important to support the work of repealing the death penalty. We can certainly help you in crafting an effective pitch for the folks attending your party!
- Throw your house party! Everyone gathers for food, drinks, and conversation - MD CASE members will talk about action going on in your specific county, and talk to attendees abou their specific lawmakers. Make your pitch and hopefully raise a good donation. Everyone leaves energized and ready to talk to his or her neighbors, friends, and legislators.
- Clean-up time - don't worry, we can stick around to help out with this fun part!
Raising money is important, but we also need the help of some dedicated volunteers. Please call or email our office at (301) 779-5230 or email@example.com to find out what you can do to help out. Examples of some volunteer activities include:
- Phone banking - lawmakers on the fence need to hear from their constituents! Help us call our members in specific districts and urge them to contact their legislators. We also need help calling our list whenever an important hearing or vote is approaching.
- Petition gathering - spend a few hours of your time after services in your faith community, on the campus of your university, or at you local community center and get your friends and neighbors to sign on to the repeal effort. Contact us and we can email or send you a copy of our petition - you can also download a PDF version.
- Be a media watcher - scan your local newspapers, magazines, and blogs for news on Maryland's death penalty and alert us when it appears. Draft an op-ed to submit and write letters to the editor. If you need help in crafting these things, let us know!
- Stuff mailings - MD CASE sends out quarterly newsletters to our list of more than 1,500 members! We always welcome help stuffing, sealing, and stamping - snacks are, of course, provided! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will put you on our "stuffing alert" list and let you know when we need help with this task.